Fake news is becoming a pretty serious issue. It affected the election and POTUS is endorsing how NY Times and other major media outlets are promoting fake news to attack him. It is absurd to believe this argument but it is true that there are more fake news than ever before.
Facebook is having a big challenge because newsfeed is rampant with misinformation. In response, Facebook introduced new feature that marks fake news which is being reviewed by 3rd party fact checkers. When I read articles about this feature, I felt that there can be a better solution that can really inform the public.
During my ideation process, I came to a conclusion that in order to truly filter out fake news, there needs to be a platform where talented journalists come together and fact check stories together. This way, you will get more checks & balance and in a long run there would be a potential network effect for users. In addition, if there’s a way to provide market place that benefits journalists, then that would create extra motivation for journalists to do more work.
Here's step by step instruction how this thing would work.
1. Highly shared stories on Facebook & Twitter will get aggregated into App’s feed.
2. Journalists would review the feed and leave fact checks. The commenting behavior would mimic Genius’ annotation.
3. Journalists mark the story as fact or fake. Based on advocacy of the review from general public and journalist’ conclusion, the story will get appropriate
percentage whether it is fact or fake.
4. General public can send donation to journalists as a token of appreciation.
5. After the story is reviewed by x amount of journalists, the status of the story will get reflected back on social channels with designed indicator.